Description of problem:
yum has a plugin for doing some actions after a transaction is finished which is IMHO very useful. Please add support for those post-transaction actions to dnf.
DNF doesn't yet provide a plugin API so that should come first. Leaving this open until then, shouldn't be a problem.
*** Bug 1038936 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Fixed by 6e60010 on master, the new API will be included in dnf-0.4.10.
dnf-0.4.10-1.fc20 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 20.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 20 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing dnf-0.4.10-1.fc20'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
dnf-0.4.10-1.fc20 has been pushed to the Fedora 20 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
This bug should be re-opened, as the request for a dnf equivalent to yum-plugin-post-transaction-action has not been fulfilled, only the first step towards that goal (support for plugins in dnf) has been addressed thus far.
Typo -- the correct name for the package is yum-plugin-post-transaction-actions (with an "s" at the end)
Agreed, I would love to see the equivalent of yum-plugin-post-transaction-actions in DNF. I miss it dearly. So why this bug was closed is beyond me.
please re-open and prioritize
could you provide several use cases it should cover?
It would help us to understand which functionality should be covered and how.
I've recently visited some RH customers that are migrating to DNF/RHEL8 and thus will face now the problem of migrating all functionalities they had in place with YUM into DNF.
Most of the use cases I've seen there, are related either to:
- post Linux kernel update, actions to schedule a smart system restart afterwards (incl. jump into the new kernel with KEXEC at the end)
- post e.g. httpd update, permission fixes/adjustments and/or service restarts
- post update scripts, that update some centralized database about a newly installed package (configuration management DBs)
or otherwise there are still some other very specific use case post update scripts that many customers have implemented.
If it would really help here, I could try to investigate and see if I can get/post samples of those scripts, but I doubt this will be easy TBH...
In general my impression is that even if you might have other ways to achieve similar results, this would be a meaningful place where to do it.
Also I would consider it kind of a "regression" to the features of YUM, one might expect to find again in DNF as well.
For that reason I would also not reimplement the wheel in a different way, but rather see if it could be possible to migrate the functionality from here: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/yum-utils/blob/master/plugins/post-transaction-actions/post-transaction-actions.py
Of course all this only if it makes sense and if it's technically still possible: what do you think about it?
Francisco already stated some valid use cases.
For what it is worth, these are some of the use cases that were relevant for me in the past other that the ones already mentioned by Francisco:
- change some 'default' program setting that would reset upon every update.
- When using the Oracle JRE, update alternatives upon install/update/delete.
- When using Oracle VirtualBox, automatically download and install the correct Extension Pack and download the latest Guest Additions.
my customer is asking for the post-transaction functionality too. They're migrating to RHEL8 and need it for:
- runing their inventory tools afterwards
- doing some clean-up tasks afterwards
Would be nice to have the plugin also in dnf as we have it in yum.
Thanks and regards