This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2017-10-23 It is expected to last about 30 minutes
Bug 991261 - Some parameters included in help but not exist in virt-viewer manual
Some parameters included in help but not exist in virt-viewer manual
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
Classification: Red Hat
Component: virt-viewer (Show other bugs)
6.5
Unspecified Unspecified
medium Severity medium
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Marc-Andre Lureau
Virtualization Bugs
:
: 998304 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-08-01 22:35 EDT by tingting zheng
Modified: 2014-10-14 02:29 EDT (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: virt-viewer-0.6.0-1.el6
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
no doc required
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2014-10-14 02:29:24 EDT
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description tingting zheng 2013-08-01 22:35:13 EDT
Description
Some parameters included in help but not exist in virt-viewer manual

Version:
virt-viewer-0.5.6-6.el6.x86_64

How reproducible:
100%

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Check virt-viewer manual and help,found --display in help but not in manual.
# virt-viewer --help
  --display=DISPLAY                                                 X display to use

2.Check remote-viewer manual and help,found --direct and --display in help but not in manual.
# remote-viewer --help
  -d, --direct                                                      Direct connection with no automatic tunnels
  --display=DISPLAY                                                 X display to use


Actual results:
As description.

Expected results:
The parameters in help included in virt-viewer manual

Additional info:
Comment 2 Marc-Andre Lureau 2013-08-14 16:32:39 EDT
I sent a patch to ML to remove the option:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2013-August/msg00059.html
Comment 3 Marc-Andre Lureau 2013-08-19 07:21:17 EDT
*** Bug 998304 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Christophe Fergeau 2014-04-03 11:12:22 EDT
Why is this bug blocking RHEL7manpagescan (bug 948362) ? This is a rhel 6.6 bug.
Comment 7 zhoujunqin 2014-06-09 03:14:25 EDT
I can reproduce with package: virt-viewer-0.5.6-10.el6.x86_64
then try to verify this bug with latest build: virt-viewer-0.6.0-5.el6.x86_64

steps:
1. Check remote-viewer manual and help, found --direct neither in help nor in manual.

# remote-viewer --help
Note: There is no string like following exists in help.
-d, --direct                                                      Direct connection with no automatic tunnels

2. But found "--display" always in virt-viewer and remote-viewer's help info.

# virt-viewer --help
  --display=DISPLAY                                                 X display to use

# remote-viewer --help
  --display=DISPLAY                                                 X display to use

Hi Marc-Andre Lureau, 
i find one comment you left in bug 823916 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=823916#c5
i want to know since --display is not a virt-viewer specific option, why not remove it from the help info, thanks for your help.
Comment 8 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-06-09 07:40:12 EDT
(In reply to zhoujunqin from comment #7)
> I can reproduce with package: virt-viewer-0.5.6-10.el6.x86_64
> then try to verify this bug with latest build: virt-viewer-0.6.0-5.el6.x86_64
> 
> steps:
> 1. Check remote-viewer manual and help, found --direct neither in help nor
> in manual.
> # remote-viewer --help
> Note: There is no string like following exists in help.
> -d, --direct                                                      Direct
> connection with no automatic tunnels

That's expected, no such option there.


> 2. But found "--display" always in virt-viewer and remote-viewer's help info.
> 
> # virt-viewer --help
>   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> display to use
> 
> # remote-viewer --help
>   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> display to use
> 
> Hi Marc-Andre Lureau, 
> i find one comment you left in bug 823916
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=823916#c5
> i want to know since --display is not a virt-viewer specific option, why not
> remove it from the help info, thanks for your help.

Because it's a gtk+ option. All gtk+ application have it.
Comment 9 zhoujunqin 2014-06-09 22:40:54 EDT
(In reply to Marc-Andre Lureau from comment #8)
> 
> > 2. But found "--display" always in virt-viewer and remote-viewer's help info.
> > 
> > # virt-viewer --help
> >   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> > display to use
> > 
> > # remote-viewer --help
> >   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> > display to use
> > 
> > Hi Marc-Andre Lureau, 
> > i find one comment you left in bug 823916
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=823916#c5
> > i want to know since --display is not a virt-viewer specific option, why not
> > remove it from the help info, thanks for your help.
> 
> Because it's a gtk+ option. All gtk+ application have it.

Hi Marc-Andre Lureau,
first thanks for your help, and i checked again:
# virt-viewer  --help-gtk

GTK+ Options
...
 
  --display=DISPLAY                                                 X display to use

# remote-viewer --help-gtk
Usage:
  remote-viewer [OPTION...] -- URI - Remote viewer client

GTK+ Options
....
  --display=DISPLAY                                                 X display to use

i find that "--display" has been included by "--help-gtk" option, so i think we should remove "--display" from "--help".
Comment 10 Marc-Andre Lureau 2014-06-10 06:01:09 EDT
(In reply to zhoujunqin from comment #9)
> Hi Marc-Andre Lureau,
> first thanks for your help, and i checked again:
> # virt-viewer  --help-gtk
> 
> GTK+ Options
> ...
>  
>   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> display to use
> 
> # remote-viewer --help-gtk
> Usage:
>   remote-viewer [OPTION...] -- URI - Remote viewer client
> 
> GTK+ Options
> ....
>   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> display to use
> 
> i find that "--display" has been included by "--help-gtk" option, so i think
> we should remove "--display" from "--help".

We can't. all gtk+ applications have this option in --help.
Comment 11 zhoujunqin 2014-06-10 22:29:11 EDT
(In reply to Marc-Andre Lureau from comment #10)
> (In reply to zhoujunqin from comment #9)
> > Hi Marc-Andre Lureau,
> > first thanks for your help, and i checked again:
> > # virt-viewer  --help-gtk
> > 
> > GTK+ Options
> > ...
> >  
> >   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> > display to use
> > 
> > # remote-viewer --help-gtk
> > Usage:
> >   remote-viewer [OPTION...] -- URI - Remote viewer client
> > 
> > GTK+ Options
> > ....
> >   --display=DISPLAY                                                 X
> > display to use
> > 
> > i find that "--display" has been included by "--help-gtk" option, so i think
> > we should remove "--display" from "--help".
> 
> We can't. all gtk+ applications have this option in --help.

Hi Marc-Andre Lureau,
thanks for your help, move to verified.
Comment 12 errata-xmlrpc 2014-10-14 02:29:24 EDT
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2014-1379.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.