The German translation of RHEV-M is, sorry, just bad. Additionally using a language aside of English breaks also functionalities, see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1128062. Further on the English front-end is more helpful regarding comparison/phrasings with documentation and support.
There could be a new configuration file setting in /usr/share/ovirt-engine/services/ovirt-engine/ovirt-engine.conf (or whatever is more suitable for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Virtualization Manager Web Administration) with e.g. ENGINE_LANG=en_US - and if that option is set the language can not be changed any-more in front-end.
(In reply to Ulhas Surse from comment #0)
> The German translation of RHEV-M is, sorry, just bad.
I will follow up with the RHEV translation team.
> Additionally using a
> language aside of English breaks also functionalities, see
This should not happen - this is indeed a bug, and once resolved - the specified functionality should work with all locales.
if there are additional functionalists that are working well in English but are broken in other locales - please report each one of them in a BZ, and we will take care of these problems.
> Further on the English
> front-end is more helpful regarding comparison/phrasings with documentation
> and support.
I will follow up with the product stakeholders on this.
> There could be a new configuration file setting in
> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/services/ovirt-engine/ovirt-engine.conf (or whatever
> is more suitable for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Virtualization Manager Web
> Administration) with e.g. ENGINE_LANG=en_US - and if that option is set the
> language can not be changed any-more in front-end.
German is currently considered a supported language in RHEV;
therefore, if any problems are encountered with the German support, we should do everything that we can in order to resolve these problems, or completely remove German as a supported language in RHEV.
adding an ability to hide *supported* languages doesn't sound like a good idea to me - but I will follow up with the product stakeholders on that.
Isaac - once you have straighten out all of the existing issues with the German translations in Zanata - can you please make sure that this BZ is moved to POST?
this BZ is for tracking improving the German translation.
Any other request (choosing default locale / hiding supported locale / ...) should be tracked via a separate BZ, if there is a real value to that request.
BTW, please keep in mind that once a user has chosen a locale in the welcome-page/one of the login pages, this locale will be selected by default the next times that the user will attempt to access the system, since we persist it in the browser storage; therefore adding an additional way in which the user can select a default locale for himself is completely unnecessary IMO.
Hi Einav and all,
I am pleased to inform you that our German translators have intensively worked on further improvement in the translation quality and the task is now complete.
Additional workload in the ovirt-3.5 version has been completed.
Translations are ready to pull from Zanata.
Please let me know if you have any issues.
The 3.5 German translation improvement is tracked via bug 1218706.
This BZ tracks those parallel improvements for 3.6.
To be on the safe side, I will pull the updated translations from the 'master' version in Zanata one more time, to ensure that the 3.6 German translation status is completely up-to-date.
some leftover German translations need to be pulled - moving back to POST.
I have checked this issue for De_DE(German).
German interface has been improved with its translations. As I am not a native German speaker, so, can not check the quality of translation, but I can see the interface is mostly translated. The language list in the Login screen is also translated for every supported language, including German.
So, considering this bug as FIXED as of now.
Version of the component tested :
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager-220.127.116.11-0.1.el6
I have checked the translation statistics in zanata, and it shows rhevm-3.6 is 100% translated for de_DE.
Reference : https://translate.zanata.org/zanata/iteration/view/rhevm-branding/rhevm-3.6/languages/de
Moving it to VERIFIED as of now.
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.
For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.
If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.