X configuration in anaconda ignores the deadkeys setting.
Chosing, for example, de-latin1-nodeadkeys gives me a German keyboard
layout without deadkeys (ok) on the console, and a German keyboard layout
WITH deadkeys in X (broken).
For XF3.3.6, the line that should get added is
For XF4.0, it's
Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 15706 ***
This is not a duplicate, cause it refers to the generated /etc/X11/XF86Config's.
So at the installer I choose nodeadkeys and after installing and rebooting I
have deadkeys in X. That is not what the user expected. A very simple and
trivial change to the installer, so that the user doesn't have to modify
Related to bug 18385.
Same bug is present in Red Hat 6.2
tested in internal tree (qa1211.0):
For XF3.3.6, the line added is
# XkbVariant "nodeadkeys"
For XF4.0, it's
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
and they are both commented out ... so the problem is not resolved ...
This is currently fixed if you select German keyboard and disable deadkeys in
the graphcial installer. But, I suspect that there is a problem when booting
off a floppy. That is, I don't think the loader passes on the keyboard info
properly to the second stage installer.
As long as you do a cd-based install, this problem doesn't exist. After more
tests, I've found that the problem only occurs if you boot off a floppy because
the loader isn't passing the deadkey information to the second stage.
I have changed the way the keyboard data structure works so that information on
the XkbVariant can be stored. Selecting de-latin1-nodeadkeys in the first stage
installer now results in the XkbVariant "nodeadkeys" being written to the
Brock, please verify. I've got a German keyboard if you want to borrow it.
verified fix in qa0108.0 ...