Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 183999
unable to install FC5T3 because tried to find rpm packages only in disc1 dir
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:11:26 EST
Description of problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. I tried to install FC5T3 from mounting the iso images in dir
/linux/fedora/core/4.92/i386/os and each iso image is a dir disc# where # is 1-5
2. when I try the htp install I give the server address and the path
/linux/fedora/core/4.92/i386/os first show me a dialog about Fedora dir not
found in os dir after clicking ok the program retry from dir disc1 and begin
downloading the stage2 image.
3. I remember from Fedora Core 4 it retied automatically without showing any dialog
4. the install halts because try to download the program w3m from dir disc1 when
it is found in disc3
unable to install FC5T3 from cd iso images mounted and shared via httpd server
a fresh and working install of FC5T3 this method worked for me in FC4
the following is a addendum tyo the first comment:
- the machine is booting from boot.iso in a cd
- the cds iso images are mounted via automount
- I select the option customize now
I tried the following:
1. creating a a dir in /linux/fedora/core/4.92/i386/ called cds and inside it
symlink to the disc# dir in dir os so I was able to create a repodata dir with
2. copy comps.xml to repodata dir and add his info to repomd.xml
3. so the contents of cds dir is disc1 disc2 disc3 disc3 disc4 disc5 repodata
4. actual result is anaconda will dowload some rpms , so is a little step
forward but later try to find a rpm in disc1 when the rpm phisically is in disc2
and I try another way
I delete the disc2 disc3 disc4 disc5 dirs and I symlink all rpms from os/disc2-5
/Fedora/RPMS/* to cds/disc1/Fedora/RPMS/.
the anaconda download a fe rpms but later complains about not finding disc3 dir
I combine the two solutions I create symlinks of disc2-5 and I symlink all rpms
I success to install FC5T3 this way, but seems which the install program try to
find all rpms within disc1 and also in the other dirs disc2-5 in differents
steps of the installation
this method ( mounting the cd images without kludges) was/is working in Fedora
maybe I'm overlooking something?
No, you're not overlooking anything. The install method you've described
stopped working post FC4. It's on the list of things to take care of after FC5.
The switch to yum for anaconda's package installation backend brought many
exciting and challenging problems, this one among them.
To do an HTTP installation now, you'll just need to have a directory with all of
the packages and correct repo data. If you combine all of the packages from a
set of CDs to one directory, be sure to run createrepo to generate more or less
correct yum data.
Some time in the near future, the loopback mounting of ISO images for HTTP-based
installs should be working again.
createrepo -g Fedora/base/comps.xml .
thanks for clarifying the current situation, and I will try that
*** Bug 186003 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
today I tried mounting the DVD image (Fedora Core 5 Release, NOT test3) via a
loop device and exporting it via http and I did a minimal install from it
without problems thanks
*** Bug 189097 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Changes committed to rawhide now. Might change this around later because it's
not the best solution to this problem. But it should work.