Bug 238337 - gimp removes symlinks to plugins of other packages when updated
gimp removes symlinks to plugins of other packages when updated
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: gimp (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Nils Philippsen
David Lawrence
: Reopened
: 238861 240703 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-04-29 10:33 EDT by Scott Tsai
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:12 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-04-30 12:54:22 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---
nphilipp: fedora_requires_release_note+


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Scott Tsai 2007-04-29 10:33:23 EDT
Description of problem:
gimp can't find the xsane plugin unless its placed under
/usr/lib{,64}/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
xsane-gimp-0.994-3.fc7

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. start gimp as root
2. In the "File"->"Acquire" menu, you find no entries starting with "XSane:"
3. ln /usr/bin/xsane-gimp /usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ # replace %{_libdir} on
 32 bit boxes
4. start gimp as root
5. In the "File"->"Acquire" menu, there's now an entry starting with "XSane:libusb:"
  
Actual results:
gimp can't find the xsane plugin

Expected results:
"XSane" entry under "File"->"Acquire" menu by default.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-30 03:46:05 EDT
Externally packaged gimp plugins use /usr/sbin/gimp-plugin-mgr to install the
symlinks in the (versionized) gimp plugin directory. I presume that some of the
scripts weren't executed properly when installing/updating.

In order to refresh the symlinks, run the following command as root:

/usr/sbin/gimp-plugin-mgr --install '*'
Comment 2 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-30 12:44:18 EDT
Reopened, because I could reproduce the bug when updating the package. It seems
I got the order in which pre/post/un scriptlets are executed mixed up.
Comment 3 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-30 12:54:22 EDT
gimp-2.2.14-3.fc7 is building right now which should fix this problem.
Comment 4 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-30 15:41:36 EDT
I've noticed that my fix was still suboptimal and have updated it in
gimp-2.2.14-4.fc7 which is building at the moment.

Note that when updating from an affected version of the gimp to a fixed one
you'll likely still see the problem because the culprit is in the packages
%preun script, i.e. the broken script is run. This means that the fix will only
help for subsequent updates, use the workaround I described above once again to
fix things (hopefully for the last time).
Comment 5 Nils Philippsen 2007-05-01 03:50:52 EDT
gimp-2.2.14-5.fc7 (building right now) shouldn't fail the %pre/%preun scripts
with the symlink missing.
Comment 6 Nils Philippsen 2007-05-04 02:29:47 EDT
Changing component to gimp (which is where the bug is).
Comment 7 Nils Philippsen 2007-05-04 03:35:00 EDT
*** Bug 238861 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 8 Nils Philippsen 2007-06-01 04:39:01 EDT
*** Bug 240703 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.