Bug 238993 - gimp removes symlinks to plugins of other packages when updated
gimp removes symlinks to plugins of other packages when updated
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
Classification: Red Hat
Component: gimp (Show other bugs)
5.0
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Nils Philippsen
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-05-04 07:32 EDT by Nils Philippsen
Modified: 2014-09-10 09:22 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: RHSA-2007-0343
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-05-21 09:02:53 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Nils Philippsen 2007-05-04 07:32:00 EDT
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #238337 +++

Description of problem:
gimp can't find the xsane plugin unless its placed under
/usr/lib{,64}/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
xsane-gimp-0.994-3.fc7

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. start gimp as root
2. In the "File"->"Acquire" menu, you find no entries starting with "XSane:"
3. ln /usr/bin/xsane-gimp /usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ # replace %{_libdir} on
 32 bit boxes
4. start gimp as root
5. In the "File"->"Acquire" menu, there's now an entry starting with "XSane:libusb:"
  
Actual results:
gimp can't find the xsane plugin

Expected results:
"XSane" entry under "File"->"Acquire" menu by default.

Additional info:

-- Additional comment from nphilipp@redhat.com on 2007-04-30 03:46 EST --
Externally packaged gimp plugins use /usr/sbin/gimp-plugin-mgr to install the
symlinks in the (versionized) gimp plugin directory. I presume that some of the
scripts weren't executed properly when installing/updating.

In order to refresh the symlinks, run the following command as root:

/usr/sbin/gimp-plugin-mgr --install '*'

-- Additional comment from nphilipp@redhat.com on 2007-04-30 12:44 EST --
Reopened, because I could reproduce the bug when updating the package. It seems
I got the order in which pre/post/un scriptlets are executed mixed up.

-- Additional comment from nphilipp@redhat.com on 2007-04-30 12:54 EST --
gimp-2.2.14-3.fc7 is building right now which should fix this problem.

-- Additional comment from nphilipp@redhat.com on 2007-04-30 15:41 EST --
I've noticed that my fix was still suboptimal and have updated it in
gimp-2.2.14-4.fc7 which is building at the moment.

Note that when updating from an affected version of the gimp to a fixed one
you'll likely still see the problem because the culprit is in the packages
%preun script, i.e. the broken script is run. This means that the fix will only
help for subsequent updates, use the workaround I described above once again to
fix things (hopefully for the last time).

-- Additional comment from nphilipp@redhat.com on 2007-05-01 03:50 EST --
gimp-2.2.14-5.fc7 (building right now) shouldn't fail the %pre/%preun scripts
with the symlink missing.

-- Additional comment from nphilipp@redhat.com on 2007-05-04 02:29 EST --
Changing component to gimp (which is where the bug is).

-- Additional comment from nphilipp@redhat.com on 2007-05-04 03:35 EST --
*** Bug 238861 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Red Hat Bugzilla 2007-05-21 09:02:53 EDT
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2007-0343.html

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.