Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 242822
Admin programs cannot be launched as non-admin user
Last modified: 2014-01-12 18:43:53 EST
Description of problem:
When a non-admin user tries to launch an admin program, it fails to start.
Password panel shows up. After entering the password and clicking on OK button,
nothing shows up.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Create a non-admin user.
Loging as that user.
Try to update sytem time.
Steps to Reproduce:
1) Create a non-admin user.
2) Loging as that user.
3) Try to update sytem time.
*** Bug 242823 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Assigning to usermode package.
Thanks for your report. system-config-date seems to run fine for me.
- Can you please specify how you are "trying to update system time" in more
detail? What desktop environment are you using? Are you running a command
from the command line, an application in the menu, or perhaps using the clock
- Please try to run the program in question, and when the password prompt appears:
- switch to a virtual terminal, log in there as root
- find the PID of an "userhelper" process
- run (strace -ff -o log -p the_pid_found_above)
- switch back to X, enter the password
- THE GENERATED log* FILES WILL CONTAIN THE PASSWORD. Edit them to replace
it with some other string.
- Please attach an archive containing the generated files.
The information we've requested above is required in order
to review this problem report further and diagnose/fix the
issue if it is still present. Since there have not been any
updates to the report since thirty (30) days or more since we
requested additional information, we're assuming the problem
is either no longer present in the current Fedora release, or
that there is no longer any interest in tracking the problem.
Setting status to "INSUFFICIENT_DATA". If you still
experience this problem after updating to our latest Fedora
release and can provide the information previously requested,
please feel free to reopen the bug report.
Thank you in advance.
Open new bug similar to these one
If I try to run admin tool fron the menu these don't open
If I roon the same tool from command line these open well after providing the administrative pass