Description of problem:
I'm seeing quite frequent hangs in Evolution, bug-buddy does not get triggered
but running in gdb I was able to catch a glimpse of the action. Normally this
will happen at random just reading mail but I found a way to provoke it by
marking a specific mail as spam. I'm attaching both backtraces.
I don't know what specifically triggers this when reading mail but marking this
one spam mail seems to do the trick every time.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start reading mail, eventually it will hang
Evolution hangs but bug-buddy is not launched
I know it's Evolution and thus one shouldn't get ones hopes up, but if it would
at least let me read my mail it would be nice.
Created attachment 157598 [details]
Backtrace of random hang
Created attachment 157599 [details]
backtrace of junkfiltering scenerio
CC'ing firstname.lastname@example.org, Will you mentioned at the last QA meeting that
Evolution was hanging for you as well.
The backtrace shows an invalid free() in Thread 1. I vaguely recall this or
something like it being fixed in the latest release.
Can you please try upgrading to evolution-2.11.4-1.fc8 and see if you still
experience the hang? If you still see the hangs can you try running Evolution
from a terminal and post any messages that get printed?
(Thanks for installing the debuginfo packages, by the way.)
Evolution-2.11.4-1.fc8 is also displaying an uncanny ability to hang every few
I'm attaching the direct output from running 2.11.4-1.fc8 in gdb and the
backtrace I managed to capture. The problem is now so bad you just have to start
Evolution then sit back and wait for it to take a nose dive, normally does not
take more than 30-45 secs.
And might I add debuginfo-install from the yum-utils package.. most handy
package when using Evolution ever.
Created attachment 157981 [details]
obsoleting old backtraces
Created attachment 157982 [details]
*** Bug 245937 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
change of summary to make it more discoverable
I think I have a fix for the problem. Memory was being allocated and
deallocated by two different memory management schemes (GLib's slab allocator
This issue seems to be affecting Fedora 7 users as well. Could someone please
confirm that the problem is fixed in Rawhide before I push it to Fedora 7?
Please try evolution-2.11.4-2.fc8.
I never thought I would say this about Evolution... but it seems stable. It's
been sitting there letting me read my mail for at least 20 mins with repeated
hits to my mail server.. ample abuse and no crash. I definitely owe you beer
Thanks for the confirmation. Given the severity of the problem I'll go ahead
and push the fix to Fedora 7 and just neglect to mention that it was caused by
one of my own patches. *smiles sheepishly*
Also fixed in evolution-2.10.2-3.fc7.
evolution-2.10.2-3.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
evolution-2.10.2-3.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
*** Bug 245786 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***