Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 464294
Cannot get stable connection with BCM4318 and WEP
Last modified: 2018-04-11 12:44:35 EDT
Created attachment 317853 [details]
Description of problem:
I have a notebook which wifi BCM4318 I tried to make work in bug 198071. After one update of F8 it actually begin to work with my wifi, but the power supply for the notebook broke, so I put the computer on the shelf and forgot about it (and I haven't closed the bug properly, I am sorry; I think it has been already fixed as INSUFFICIENT_DATA in meanwhile, so I didn't bother).
Now, I decided I want a notebook for my wife, so I let the power supply to be fixed, upgraded to the latest version of everything from F8-updates-newkey and tried again. Meanwhile, I have switched our home wifi network to WPA, and when I tried to connect to the network with NetworkManager it failed to connect and asked repeatedly for the password.
I am not sure which component in the network stack is to blame so I am starting from the bottom and putting Dan Williams on Cc: just to be sure, that I include all involved person. Feel free to reassign.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
[matej@chelcicky disk]$ rpm -qa kernel\* Network\* wpa\*
[matej@chelcicky disk]$ uname -a
Linux chelcicky.ceplovi.cz 184.108.40.206-27.fc8 #1 SMP Fri Sep 19 20:09:06 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Steps to Reproduce:
1.upgrade to the latest F8 and reboot
2.select WIFI network in the NetworkManager
3.fill in the correct password
NM tries to get connection, but fails to do so.
Network connection like I get with this notebook with iwl3945 and F9.
Created attachment 317854 [details]
Created attachment 317855 [details]
stdout of dmesg
Not sure whether the information is the same as in /var/log/dmesg -- diff seems to think it isn't.
Created attachment 317861 [details]
/var/log/messages with WEP
When I switched the wifi access point to WEP, NetworkManager was easily able to connect to the network (after asking me for the password, of course), but the connection didn't last longer than couple of minutes (actually I was trying to change the component of this bug to wpa_supplicant, but the network connection died before the component listbox got filled; good, that I haven't managed to change that component :)). When trying to connect to the network repeatedly, I always got connection on the first attempt, but unfortunately the connection never lasted for longer than a minute or so.
Created attachment 317862 [details]
Created attachment 317863 [details]
stdout of dmesg
Some more notes:
a) I dimly remember that when it worked with F8, it was actually bcm43legacy (or whatever was the name then), which when I tried now didn't generate even a wlan0 device.
b) after all this unsuccessful attempts I gave up and installed ndiswrapper, which works like a charm -- so that we can eliminate possibility of hardware issues from the consideration.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 462963 ***
OK, comment 7 deals with WPA, let's forget anything before comment 3 and stay with WEP.
This is what's called anticipatory breach by lawyers -- I have upgraded the copmuter to Fedora10Beta, so I cannot help here anymore.