Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 476105
taglib doesn't grok ogg-vorbis .oga files
Last modified: 2009-04-18 20:43:09 EDT
Created attachment 326689 [details]
from terminal amarok 2>amarok20.txt
Description of problem:
Amarok 2.0 ( testing) can not scan folders. Only one folder comes to local collection.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
see attachment when amarok is started from terminal.
I have seen high CPU usag off amarok in System monitor while scanning.
Gnome session. KDE not instaled.
Same problem was in amarok 1.98
It's unclear to me how to try to reproduce this. Am I to understand you have multiple folders, but only one works?
As an aside, the only item in the logfile out of the ordinary are the db-related stuff, like
081211 23:31:48 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
Sounds like amarok, at one point or another either crashed or was killed.
In am not able to scan this folder
Is it a problem with spechial characters
Be aware too, fedora doesn't support MP3's (I assume due to the name of your folder). For that, you need to flow "Enabling MP3 support" link on http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download:Fedora
I can play mp3 with amarok.
I have benn able scan mp3 in too local files.
There is no mp3 file in /media/tonlist/MP3_lög/ᛏᛣᚱ/Ragnarok
Rytmninbox has no problem with Ragnarok folder.
For giggles and to confirm your suspicion, mind renaming the folder to something simple like
can amarok parse it now?
amarok can not play files in /media/tonlist/MP3_lög/ᛏᛣᚱ/Ragnarok.
and not /home/floki/Download/The Music Still Goes On which are off type
for exapmle 03 - On and on and On.oga. Rytminbox can play them.
I wan able to scan to folders in /home/floki/Music/.
But I had to kill amarok after 5 minutes and using cpu from 50 80.
Now I can scan folders.
What changed I dot know.
What confused me is that amarok can not play oga files.
OK... now to the ogg issue. ogg files should play fine (do for me).
Can you describe the symptoms? Does amarok say playing, and nothing comes? Does it skip over these items?
In the meantime,
rpm -q xine-lib-pulseaudio phonon-backend-xine phonon-backend-gstreamer
floki@flokip ~]$ rpm -q xine-lib-pulseaudio phonon-backend-xine phonon-backend-gstreamer
package xine-lib-pulseaudio is not installed
I can now play oga files.
ogg was always ok.
xine neads xine-lib-extras.x86_64 1.1.15-3.fc10 for oga I think
I used Sound Juicer 2.24.0 to extract, and by default it creates oga files for audio.
oga files are not scanned in to collection.
[floki@flokip ~]$ rpm -qa | grep xine
Amarok relays on xine as sound engine ( as far I understand )
amarok relies on phonon, which uses xine by default.
xine-lib-extras shouldn't be required here.
What is at issue is the lack of xine-lib-pulseaudio, which would explain it not working (when PA is in use).
I have installed
and not able to scan oga files but play.
Wierd, I can't reproduce that (a majority of my own amarok collection oare ogg's). I wonder if .ogg vs .oga makes a difference?
Tray to extract with Sound Juicer. Default is to create *.oga.
Tray to scan *.oga from Sound Juicer.
I still can't reproduce.
Mind sending me one of those problematic files privately?
OK, I was finally able to reproduce, with a sample (thanks). Oddly, renaming said file to .ogg made it work.
I'll do some digging.
OK, problem here is that taglib, the library amarok uses for extracted metadata/tags, assumes that .oga represents an ogg-flac file, and the ones you're using are ogg-vorbis (which taglib assumes has an .ogg extension).
I'll keep looking into whether the .oga => ogg-flac assumption is legit or whether it warrants fixing.
Upstream bug filed, http://bugs.kde.org/178602
In the meantime, if you follow the current constraints of naming ogg-vorbis files .ogg and ogg-flac files .oga, things should work fine (or better anyway).
FYI, the new default of *.oga naming instead of *.ogg has created other problems. See bug #479120 for the audacious-libs issue. Problem can be two fold :
* It has been assumed that ogg files always contained ogg/vorbis, so there are problems when it contains something else (like ogg/flac).
* Is has been assumed that ogg files should be named *.ogg (or *.ogm too sometimes), so there are problems when they are named *.oga.
Obviously, the proper fix is to detect ogg based on the file's mime type and to then detect if it contains audio streams and what codec they use, but that probably means major code changes (it does in audacious-libs where I've had a quick look).
Since this has been reported upstream, going to close this report as such. Will monitor upstream for resolution.
*** Bug 496384 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***