Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 595780
NIC hotplug and hotunplug is very buggy
Last modified: 2011-02-01 04:00:54 EST
There are several problems with NIC hotplug and unplug. Hotplugging can cause bug 523693, and unplugging is subject to memory leaks that can cause blue screens after a certain number of hotplug/hotunplug operations.
On top of that, some code in the drivers is executed at high interrupt levels, causing the system to be unresponsive for approximately half a second while the hotplugging and hotunplugging is completed.
Back to ASSIGNED as the previous solution does not work on Windows 2008. :-(
Technical note added. If any revisions are required, please edit the "Technical Notes" field
accordingly. All revisions will be proofread by the Engineering Content Services team.
Previously, the network card hot-plug and hot-unplug triggered problems in the SCSI driver and could cause the guest to crash. With this update, the network card hot-plug and hot-unplug work as reliable.
Version-Release number of selected component:
guest: Windows2008r2 HVM
1. Edit the vm's config file to install xenpv-win, change the disk specification like
2. Start the vm with xm create command:
[host]# xm create $vm-config
3. Open "My Computer", double click "xenpv-win-1.2.0(D:)(CDROM Drive)"
Or Open CD Drive, then double click xenpv-win.exe
Then the installer start the installation process, choose "next" all the way.
4. Execute hot-plug and hot-unplug 50 times.
[host]# xm pci-attach $domU $dev
[host]# xm pci-detach $domU $dev
5. using vncviewer to login the guest vm and check.
1. The guest works well and blue-screen doesn't occur.
1) Does the network work after the cycles? That would be bug 598100.
2) Try 100-120 hotplug cycles. :)
I think both bugs are verified then.
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on therefore solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.