Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 612835
fc13 kde - oxygen cursor reverts to regular cursor when mouse over firefox
Last modified: 2011-03-17 00:12:02 EDT
Description of problem:
oxygen-cursor-themes cursor reverts to standard cursor when mouse over a firefox window.
with mouse over some non-firefox program window still correctly see oxygen cursor. (works fine in 'konsole' terminal window for example)
works ok in fc12_gnome but not fc13_kde.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
broken in fc13_kde:
worked in fc12_gnome:
Steps to Reproduce:
1. with mouse over desktop see oxygen cursor
2. with mouse over firefox window titlebar still see oxygen cursor
3. with mouse over firefox window body see regular non-oxygen cursor instead of an expected oxygen cursor that should see
4. click on 'tools' (or other menu) in firefox menu bar and get oxygen cursor as should until you move over on one of the items in the tools submenu we opened at which point the cursor turns back into regular non-oxygen cursor instead of an oxygen cursor that should see
( however, IF one of the tools (or other menu) submenu item has ANOTHER LAYER OF SUBMENU (denoted with a '>' at end of line) then mousing over that line item gives the CORRECT oxygen cursor as expected while the rest of the line items without further submenu layers still only give the regular non-oxygen cursor )
dont see oxygen cursor in firefox in fc13_kde
expect to see oxygen cursor as did in fc12_gnome
0) filing against firefox here since it only seems to work wrong in firefox.
note that fc12_gnome didnt support 3d effects for my card while fc13_kde(and gnome i think) does [yay]
so might have been effect related but happens in fc13 with 3d effects disabled (and compiz doesnt even seem to be installed on the fc13_kde installation)
but otherwise might think would have been related to:
- bug#599011 "Can't change cursor theme" reported against compiz
(though i can change cursor theme just doesnt seem to engage fully as described above)
- bug#531380 "Autoraise not working" reported against compiz
(i have seen some authorization windows remain burried under a pile of windows during a package install
that stalls until i remember to go looking for themso maybe there is confusion about what the current window is
but dont see how that effects the implentation of the cursor theme)
1) just out of curiosity installed compiz-0.8.6.-1.fc13.x86_64 on the fc13_kde installation to see it had an effect but doesnt seem to.
2) only skimmed but didnt notice any errors that looked related in:
var log messages
incidentally, 'firefox -safe-mode' has same issue so probably not an addon
related to some gtk2 change?
"While the gtk2 widget code makes use of some themeable cursors (those available
in stock gtk2 with gdk_cursor_new), it only uses its builtin images for some
Seems to be more of a gtk problem, as I also get incorrectly themed cursors in gimp and (gtk-)emacs. Not for all types of cursors, however.
This forum post (in German) describes the same issue, and as a workaround proposes to replace the standard "dmz-aa" with the wanted custom theme:
in fc14-beta-kde the oxygen-cursor still reverts to standard-cursor as described above
changing version to fc14
Indeed, I've installed oxygen-cursor-theme and switched to black oxygen theme. On firefox and thunderbird the theme reverts back to the default.
# vi /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
and either put in comment gtk-cursor-theme-name variable or set it to your desired theme:
gtk-cursor-theme-name = "Oxygen_Black"
It's set to "dmz-aa". You might want to do the same on /etc/gtk-3.0/gtkrc. Other distributions do not hardcode those stuff to gtkrc and are free of this bug on KDE environments.
For KDM the change must be done in the following file:
$ cat /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme
hmm i missed a duplicate of this bug.
will close this one as a duplicate of bug#591746 .
on the bright side bug#591746 has a fix pending in updates-testing of f14-kde-x86_64 of:
which seem to fix the issue for me, ya.
however if during their testing you find an issue then should report problems to:
if after tesing closes you think things dont work even though bug#591746 claims fix then this bug could be reopened but more likely should comment to bug#591746 .
ok for me now so closing this bug for now and enjoying the shiny new cursor in ff.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 591746 ***