From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
Description of problem:
When I try to connect to the internet using my dial up external 56k modem, it
simply won't dial. I have been using the correct serial port, and it just
hangs the network dialog when trying to activate the ppp0 interface. I chose
the Personal Desktop option during install.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Click GNOME Foot, Then System Tools, then Network
2. Click on Activate for ppp0
3. Program hangs on activation step.
Actual Results: It came up with a Kill Apllication box, and i am unable to
Expected Results: Should dial up the internet
I found out that it seems to be redhat-config-network with the problem. kppp
dials fine, and wvdial dials fine (except you can't surf using the browser for
redhat-config-network can't actually find my modem, whereas kppp and wvdialconf
can both find it and connect to it.
Could you check if updating wvdial to version 1.53-5 or later from Raw Hide
(ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/) fixes this for you?
(It may be necessary to rebuild it from source
(ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS/SRPMS/) using 'rpmbuild
--rebuild' if you run into dependency errors.)
I updated to wvdial-1.53-6 and libwvstreams-3.70-5. It didn't seem to help or
hinder the problem.
It is still unable to detect the modem. wvdialconf is still able to pick it up
and so is kppp.
Under RedHat 7.3, I was able to use RP3 to dial in, and use the network config
to find it, and set it up. Even when I upgraded manually to GNOME2 via GARNOME
I was still able to use RP3 but not as an applet.
Just so I'm straight on what's going on, then, are you attempting to add the
dialup connection as a new connection with redhat-config-network, or attempting
to use one which was already set up before you upgraded to the beta?
If you're adding it, which modem device is it attempting to use? Is that device
listed in /etc/wvdial.conf? Was it detected by the hardware probe at bootup
(and added to /etc/sysconfig/hwconf)?
I did a fresh install of Red Hat Limbo, incase there was any problem with upgrading.
When I was using 7.3, my modem was detected fine using the redhat-config-network
tool, but with limbo, setting it up won't pick up anything on any port.
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf doesn't list the modem anywhere.
/etc/wvdial.conf only lists the modem after running wvdialconf in the Terminal.
What I don't get is why wvdialconf can pick it up, kppp can pick it up, but
I upgraded redhat-config-network from 1.1.12-1 to 1.1.14-1 and it didn't seem to
make any difference to any of the situation.
1. Still won't detect modem.
2. Still hangs redhat-config-network upon activating ppp interface.
Nalin, dial-up w/external modem works fine for me, btw.
Using RedHat 8.0, I thought I'd give it a shot.
It still won't detect my modem, but at least I can manually add it this time,
and it dials no problem.
There is still the fact it won't detect it though.
I can't test anything at the moment though, as I am using GTK2 2.1.4 and i still
have a broken libgnomeui.
res = kudzu.probe(kudzu.CLASS_MODEM,
and does not seem to find a modem..
*** Bug 76353 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Closing out bugs on older, no longer supported releases. Apologies for any lack
of response. Please attempt to confirm with more recent releases.