Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 756833
Can't type in code::blocks with ibus after certain control characters are typed
Last modified: 2012-01-03 09:10:46 EST
This behaviour appears only in code::blocks if ibus is enabled, so I am not sure which component has the bug. A bug has been filed on the code::blocks project http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=18417&group_id=5358 and I see exactly the same problem the filer is seeing.
I normally have ibus enabled in English mode. If I start code::blocks I can type text okay until I press one of the following keys: Any arrow key, 'Tab', 'Enter', Insert', 'Delete', 'Backspace', 'Home' and 'End'. These keys are 'executed' in the editor windows but all keyboard cursor commands and visible characters typed after that are ignored. I have found using Ctrl-Z undoes the text typed before the ignored keys, and then lets me continue typing normally. It seems as though the control keys are 'blocking' subsequent key presses until Ctrl-Z is hit.
* 'Alt', 'Ctrl' and 'Shift' do not cause the problem
* This does not affect code::blocks dialog boxes in any way.
* Quitting ibus fixes it and restarting code::blocks fixes it.
* I have not seen this problem in Nedit or Abiword
That should read
* Quitting ibus and restarting code::blocks fixes it.
Hm, very interesting problem, which could be related to Scintilla, the editor component of C::B. Could you try the latest nightly build of C::B from http://fedora.danny.cz/danny/ ?
Thanks for the response. I don't know when I'll be able to test a new release.
I did try a few more typing experiments.
1. Type any ASCII characters, except \t and \n.
2. Press Tab and observe tab character is printed
3. Type any ASCII characters(except \t and \n) and observe all are ignored
4. Type Tab, Enter or Backspace and observe these still work
5. Press Ctrl, Alt or Shift
6. Type any ASCII characters, except \t and \n, and observe these work again.
This behaviour is NOT consistent across all input methods. In at least one all characters I type show up in code::blocks.
Quitting ibus immediately restores normal behaviour. No need to restart code::blocks or press Ctrl, Alt or Shift to fix it.
This now looks like an ibus issue. I see a different problem in Nedit that is fixed by quitting ibus.
ibus-1.4.0-16.fc16 appears to fix this issue.
* should fix your issue,
* was pushed to the Fedora 16 testing repository,
* should be available at your local mirror within two days.
Update it with:
# su -c 'yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing ibus-1.4.0-16.fc16'
as soon as you are able to.
Please go to the following url:
then log in and leave karma (feedback).
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 769133 ***