Bug 757487 - grub menu should not show up if only Fedora is installed
grub menu should not show up if only Fedora is installed
Status: NEW
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: grub2 (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
unspecified Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Peter Jones
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
: FutureFeature
Depends On: 803342
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2011-11-27 08:01 EST by Alexander van Loon
Modified: 2017-02-21 11:25 EST (History)
8 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed:
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Alexander van Loon 2011-11-27 08:01:32 EST
Description of problem:

I just finished a fresh installation of Fedora 16 on my laptop. Even though Fedora 16 is the only OS installed, it still shows the grub menu. This does not make sense because if it is the only OS present it would be better if it's booted automatically without the grub menu appearing. In fact, such behavior is the default for F15 and Ubuntu. This is a trivial problem to solve and I think it's a pity that this could not be solved before the release of F16.

Additional info:

Please also see bug #737339 and bug #727831; in the former it was mentioned that in Fedora 15 it was default behavior to hide the menu and immediately boot Fedora if it is the only OS present, in the latter it was requested that for this issue a new bug would be filed against anaconda.

Workaround:

For those who don't know how to fix this, the grub configuration file to be edited is located at /etc/default/grub. Here the value of GRUB_TIMEOUT should be changed to 0 and then the changed need to be saved. Then the command grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg should be executed to make the changes take effect.
Comment 1 Alexander van Loon 2012-03-02 08:49:56 EST
Since I filed this bug against anaconda for some reason when I wrote this report it has received no attention, therefore I'm re-filing it against grub2. Also changing version to 17, I haven't tested it yet but I assume this hasn't changed yet in 17.
Comment 2 Kamil Páral 2012-03-02 09:02:15 EST
No, it hasn't changed, it's still the same issue for F17 Alpha.
Comment 3 Alexander van Loon 2012-11-16 06:41:00 EST
As of Fedora 18 there still has been no change, I've changed the version number of this report accordingly. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what the rationale is to show the menu even for single OS installations?

I realize the grub menu can be useful for picking a different kernel if the most recent one won't boot, or to change the boot parameters for a kernel. But 99% of the time won't be necessary. Windows and Mac OS both boot immediately and have other ways to recover if they can't boot. Surely Fedora can use a more refined approach to this as well?
Comment 4 Kamil Páral 2012-11-16 07:21:17 EST
I would say that bug 803342 blocks this one. If we can't force-display grub when hidden by default, then we can't hide it by default.
Comment 5 Mads Kiilerich 2012-11-16 09:31:17 EST
(In reply to comment #3)
> I would appreciate if anyone could tell
> me what the rationale is to show the menu even for single OS installations?

There is no rationale. It is just the upstream default.

A proper solution would probably involve rethinking the boot framework and the role of grubby and implementing something else.
Comment 6 Leslie Satenstein 2012-12-11 17:35:17 EST
(In reply to comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> 
> I just finished a fresh installation of Fedora 16 on my laptop. Even though
> Fedora 16 is the only OS installed, it still shows the grub menu. This does
> not make sense because if it is the only OS present it would be better if
> it's booted automatically without the grub menu appearing. In fact, such
> behavior is the default for F15 and Ubuntu. This is a trivial problem to
> solve and I think it's a pity that this could not be solved before the
> release of F16.
> 
> Additional info:
> 
> Please also see bug #737339 and bug #727831; in the former it was mentioned
> that in Fedora 15 it was default behavior to hide the menu and immediately
> boot Fedora if it is the only OS present, in the latter it was requested
> that for this issue a new bug would be filed against anaconda.
> 
> Workaround:
> 
> For those who don't know how to fix this, the grub configuration file to be
> edited is located at /etc/default/grub. Here the value of GRUB_TIMEOUT
> should be changed to 0 and then the changed need to be saved. Then the
> command grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg should be executed to make
> the changes take effect.

The edited file should actually be /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
and the timeout=5 should be changed to timeout=0

Do you not think it is a good thing to have a delay, particularly if there is a multi-boot done via the bios of the motherboard.  The delay gives one the chance to reboot.
Comment 7 Mads Kiilerich 2012-12-11 20:17:34 EST
(In reply to comment #6)
> The edited file should actually be /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

No. grub.cfg is a generated file. Manual edits will end up being overwritten.
Comment 8 Alexander van Loon 2012-12-12 10:31:23 EST
(In reply to comment #6)
> Do you not think it is a good thing to have a delay, particularly if there
> is a multi-boot done via the bios of the motherboard.  The delay gives one
> the chance to reboot.

But what I'm saying is that the delay is useful in case of a multi-boot, but is *not* useful if there is no multi-boot. In my previous comment I wrote there should be no delay *only* if Fedora is the only OS which is installed.

Kamil and Mads, thanks for clearing up the issue.
Comment 9 Fedora End Of Life 2013-04-03 13:03:09 EDT
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 19 development cycle.
Changing version to '19'.

(As we did not run this process for some time, it could affect also pre-Fedora 19 development
cycle bugs. We are very sorry. It will help us with cleanup during Fedora 19 End Of Life. Thank you.)

More information and reason for this action is here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping/Fedora19
Comment 10 Russ Anderson 2013-04-24 15:07:47 EDT
> But what I'm saying is that the delay is useful in case of a multi-boot,
> but is *not* useful if there is no multi-boot.

Actually, it is useful if you want to change a linux boot line option.

To get rid of the menu, edit /etc/default/grub and set GRUB_TIMEOUT=0.
Then regenerate grub.cfg (using grub2-mkconfig).  A default of 0 will
not display the menu and boot the default.
Comment 11 Fedora End Of Life 2015-01-09 11:53:06 EST
This message is a notice that Fedora 19 is now at end of life. Fedora 
has stopped maintaining and issuing updates for Fedora 19. It is 
Fedora's policy to close all bug reports from releases that are no 
longer maintained. Approximately 4 (four) weeks from now this bug will
be closed as EOL if it remains open with a Fedora 'version' of '19'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version.

Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that we were not 
able to fix it before Fedora 19 is end of life. If you would still like 
to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it against a later version 
of Fedora, you are encouraged  change the 'version' to a later Fedora 
version prior this bug is closed as described in the policy above.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.