Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 80978
[RFE] build with GnuPG support through GPGME
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:10:31 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021218
Request for enhancement:
Sylpheed should be built with GPGME (GnuPG Made Easy) which is not available in
the distribution, unfortunately. That would activate security/privacy features
in Sylpheed like GnuPG/PGP signatures and encryption.
GPGME is now alpha version product. so I set the priority to low.
*** Bug 114293 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
would you consider adding support for detecting it to the SPEC file so
it can be rebuilt?
That's so easy :)
Created attachment 97327 [details]
proposed spec changes/fixes
How about this?
* Thu Jan 29 2004 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt[AT]users.sf.net> 0.9.8a-2
- Add conditional GPGME support (--with gpg).
- Add desktop menu entry using desktop-file-utils.
- Fix up build requirements and very moderate spec cleanup.
- Obsolete included icon file (Source1).
already done and will be available soon. though it just provides the
option for the build, is it worth closing bug?
There you're asking the wrong one. ;) Bill Nottingham seems to think
GPGME is not ready [yet], and I'm using my own Sylpheed package
anyway. But it's okay with me if you would close this as DEFERRED.
Though, please have a look at my patch nevertheless. E.g. your package
strip-installs, which it shouldn't do.
Oops, what was that?
[Oh, only examing the combobox next to "Resolve bug, changing
resolution to..." selects the radio buttons next to it, too. D'oh!]
ah, right. we shouldn't do strip. I'll fix it then. thanks.
Ok, we still have a possibility to include gpgme to core, but it's
still work in progress. so closing this. if it's time to include gpgme
to core, repoen or file it again.
*** Bug 124868 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
A bit off-topic: is there some place to vote for whether packages like
gpgme make it to core? Who decides and on what basis? Thanks.
Nope. please file a bug to the distrubition or ask on the mailing list
when it's time to go.
It is unlikely to happen until GPGME is stabilized and applications
used the more recent API. At least, GPGME in Core would not buy you
GPG support in Sylpheed. Sylpheed (and Sylpheed Claws) still depend on
the old GPGME 0.3.x and its different API while other applications use
the newer GPGME 0.4.x. Having packages 'gpgme03' and 'gpgme' (like
fedora.us do it) in Fedora Core would work, but I understand that it
would be better to have a single version which can be kept current.
I just got word from one of the GPGME developers (thanks Marcus
Brinkmann) that with the recent 0.9 release the API should be
stabilized and they are moving towards a 1.0 release now.
Balsa should be doing a new (2.0.18) stable release real soon. It
would be nice to get GPGME in so that the new release could be built
with signing support before FC3 starts freezing up. I assume Sylpheed
would not be far behind in synchronizing up with 0.9, but I haven't
spoken with them.
triage->version to 2, possibly reopen pending decision for FC3