Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 829233
Documentation of Boot Process in F17 is outdated.
Last modified: 2013-08-01 02:24:49 EDT
Description of problem:
The Documentation at:
Is outdated and therefore misleading.
It refers to the sysv system instead of the new systemd system since F15.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
*** Bug 843698 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 846895 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Additionally, the Fedora 16 guide has the same problem, but that's EOL soon enough.
Created attachment 627447 [details]
a set of commits to address the change to systemd
Ready for QA; please apply attached patch and review
Sorry for the delay.
What fantastic work - thank you! This was a big job and you've enhanced this section so much.
I've got no major problems with it, just a list of easily fixed superficial points, identified by section:
F.3.1 - "GRUB Version 2" is referred to as GRUB2 in the rest of the doc.
F.4 - "the real root filesystem is mounted in it's place" (should be "its place")
- "with increased parallelization ." (space before the full stop)
- "New process are started by systemd" (plural problem)
- The processes are assigned to Control Groups, or cgroups" (possibly an extra space before 'cgroups')
- in second bullet point, typo "alloted"
- there is an empty note admonition at the end of the section, titled 'Control Groups'
Tagging both "units" and "targets" may be confusing given that F.6 focuses on targets and F.7 on units. Are the units in this section the same as those in F.7, or is the word merely a point of reference?
If they are the same, introducing the concept and tagging the word before the dedicated section on them may be confusing, so you might want to switch F.6 and F.7. I may be missing a significant reason for this arrangement though. What do you think?
- "and is decribed in a file" (typo)
- "it's dependencies" should be "its dependencies"
- in 'socket' table entry: "interprocesses communication" (should this be "interprocess communication"?)
- in 'socket' table entry: capitalize "unix"
- in 'service' table entry: "and envoronment of the program," (typo)
- in 'mount' table entry: "These units allow systemdto monitor" (space needed after 'systemd')
- in 'target' table entry: "such as multi-user.target that defines a full graphical user environment" and "such as bluetooth.target that provides the services a user expects" (in both cases, replace "that" with ", which" for structural clarity)
- in 'target' table entry: capitalise "bluetooth"
F.8 - "The [Unit] section has a shord description" (typo)
- the tagging of "systemctl" is inconsistent throughout this section
- admonition title: "Expect legacy commands to be depricated!" (typo)
- in admonition text: "utilites" (typo)
- "systemctl" in second paragraph is untagged
F.9.4 - "/dev/null" is untagged
F.9.5 - "systemctl" is untagged
Created attachment 633641 [details]
a better set of commits to address systemd
Thanks for the review! I've made the advised changes.
Thanks very much, Pete. Pushing this to MODIFIED then.