Bug 888669 - Add jbpmDS datasource instruction for deployable - EAP6
Add jbpmDS datasource instruction for deployable - EAP6
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: JBoss Enterprise BRMS Platform 5
Classification: JBoss
Component: doc-BRMS_Getting_Started_Guide (Show other bugs)
BRMS 5.3.1
Unspecified Unspecified
unspecified Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: lcarlon
Jiri Svitak
:
: 878300 889910 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-12-19 02:47 EST by Toshiya Kobayashi
Modified: 2015-06-01 21:35 EDT (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2013-03-05 23:25:33 EST
Type: Bug
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Toshiya Kobayashi 2012-12-19 02:47:29 EST
Description of problem:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/JBoss_Enterprise_BRMS_Platform/5/html-single/BRMS_Getting_Started_Guide/index.html#Installing_the_Deployable_Package1

If you follow the steps in "2.3. Installing the Deployable Package" for EAP6, EAP boot will fail with

=====
16:21:33,577 INFO  [org.jboss.as.controller] (Controller Boot Thread) JBAS014774: Service status report
JBAS014775:    New missing/unsatisfied dependencies:
      service jboss.naming.context.java.jboss.datasources.jbpmDS (missing) dependents: [service jboss.persistenceunit."jbpm-human-task.war#org.jbpm.task", service jboss.persistenceunit."business-central-server.war#org.jbpm.persistence.jpa"] 
=====

because persistence.xml files in brms-p-5.3.1.GA-deployable-ee6.zip use 'jbpmDS' but it's not configured by default. (note: persistence.xml in brms-p-5.3.1.GA-deployable.zip use DefaultDS so no problem with EAP5)

- brms-p-5.3.1.GA-deployable-ee6.zip:jboss-jbpm-console-ee6/business-central-server.war/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/persistence.xml
- brms-p-5.3.1.GA-deployable-ee6.zip:jboss-jbpm-console-ee6/jbpm-human-task.war/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/persistence.xml

Administrator Guide has some instruction.

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/JBoss_Enterprise_BRMS_Platform/5/html-single/BRMS_Administrator_Guide/index.html#Configuring_a_Datasource_for_JBoss_Enterprise_Application_Platform_6

But Getting Started Guide should include complete steps for startup. So please add an instruction like:

=====
Add the following entry in jboss-eap-6.0/standalone/configuration/standalone.xml

<datasource jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/jbpmDS" pool-name="jbpmDS" enabled="true" use-java-context="true">
  <connection-url>jdbc:h2:mem:test;DB_CLOSE_DELAY=-1</connection-url>
  <driver>h2</driver>
  <security>
    <user-name>sa</user-name>
    <password>sa</password>
  </security>
</datasource>
=====

Thanks!
Comment 1 lcarlon 2013-01-15 19:44:05 EST
Thanks Toshiya,

I've updated the database configuration instructions in the admin guide and will post a link as soon as they are live on the internal docstage for review.

Thanks
Lee
Comment 3 Jiri Svitak 2013-01-25 10:11:49 EST
Hello Lee,

I think that Toshiya wanted to fix getting started guide, because steps there are not complete. I have looked at it:
http://documentation-devel.engineering.redhat.com/docs/en-US/JBoss_Enterprise_BRMS_Platform/5/html/BRMS_Getting_Started_Guide/Installing_the_Deployable_Package1.html
but unfortunately the code snippet for DS configuration has not been added there. So you can add there the necessary steps for eap6 or provide a link to an example data source configuration in Administrator guide. 

Also it would be good idea to add additional information about data sources to the administrator guide. Something like
"Here are is the example how to set up data source and JDBC driver, for more details regarding EAP 6 data source configuration take a look into its documentation: https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/JBoss_Enterprise_Application_Platform/6/html/Administration_and_Configuration_Guide/chap-Datasource_Management.html"

Setting back to assigned.
Comment 4 lcarlon 2013-01-25 13:20:27 EST
(In reply to comment #3)
> Hello Lee,
> 
> I think that Toshiya wanted to fix getting started guide, because steps
> there are not complete. I have looked at it:
> http://documentation-devel.engineering.redhat.com/docs/en-US/
> JBoss_Enterprise_BRMS_Platform/5/html/BRMS_Getting_Started_Guide/
> Installing_the_Deployable_Package1.html
> but unfortunately the code snippet for DS configuration has not been added
> there.

Hi Petr,

Yes, the instructions are in the admin guide, which users are instructed to refer to for database config. We may reorganize the getting started guide to include this information but for now we just need to make sure the right information is in the guide, i.e., jbpmDS, not brmsDS.

Thanks 
Lee

> So you can add there the necessary steps for eap6 or provide a link
> to an example data source configuration in Administrator guide. 
> 
> Also it would be good idea to add additional information about data sources
> to the administrator guide. Something like
> "Here are is the example how to set up data source and JDBC driver, for more
> details regarding EAP 6 data source configuration take a look into its
> documentation:
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/
> JBoss_Enterprise_Application_Platform/6/html/
> Administration_and_Configuration_Guide/chap-Datasource_Management.html"
> 
> Setting back to assigned.
Comment 5 Toshiya Kobayashi 2013-01-27 19:53:43 EST
Hi Lee,

> We may reorganize the getting started guide to include this information

Please fix/reorganize the getting started guide in this BZ as well. We already got 3 customers who stumbled over this.

Cheers,
Toshiya
Comment 6 lcarlon 2013-01-29 15:07:58 EST
*** Bug 889910 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 9 Jiri Svitak 2013-02-01 09:55:44 EST
Thanks Lee. Verified.
Comment 10 lcarlon 2013-03-05 23:45:54 EST
*** Bug 878300 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.