Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 98880
htsearch hangs when entering search string with ()
Last modified: 2015-03-04 20:12:36 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1; MultiZilla
Description of problem:
Although i compiled htdig from the source RPM with slightly diffrent paths.
I quickly confirmed is with the "official" raw hide version also.
When entering an search string with () in there it hangs short list:
String = result
"()"=hang, "("=hang, ")"=hang, "() a"=ok, "()a"=ok, "a ()"=hang, "a()"=hang, "a
)"=hang, "a)"=hang, "a("=hang, "a)"=hang, "( a"=ok,
"( a )"=hang,"a ("=hang
P.s. off course enter them without the quotes.
I'll include an logfile of strace -f -F -o <file> htsearch -c
Where <file> will be htsearch-hang.txt & htsearch-ok.txt
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start htsearch, either on command line, or through webform
2. enter ()
Actual Results: Hangs, waited 5 minutes for it. classified as hang. ;-)
Expected Results: Returned search result or syntax error, or not found.
Additional info: Maybe security related?
Might offcourse also apply to RH9, my actual platform.
Created attachment 92850 [details]
This is where it goes wrong.
You see as the last entry the line in regards to bad_words. But this exact
issues happens at the correct run also. The input i gave here was "()".
I guess last time i didn't wait the full 5 minutes, because this time it was
killed by the alarm signal.
Created attachment 92851 [details]
This is a normal search. it works fine.
Thats because the common_dir has changed to /usr/share/htdig from
You can either set thae common_dir in the htdig.conf yourself or create a
symlink from /usrH/share/htdig to /var/www/html/htdig.
It's fixed in the latest enterprise version.
Read ya, Phil
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 88746 ***
This might fix the empty page, but it doesn't fix the hang here. Is there a way
i can test the enterprise version of htdig, as i'm on RH 9.0.
I'll put the srpm on
from which a simple rebuild should do the job.
I've tested your examples which hung for you an they worked fine on my latest
package for the enterprise version.
Read ya, Phil