Bug 160349 - FC4 Release Notes appear to have bad encoding
Summary: FC4 Release Notes appear to have bad encoding
Status: CLOSED UPSTREAM
Alias: None
Product: Fedora Documentation
Classification: Fedora
Component: release-notes (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: devel
Hardware: All Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Karsten Wade
QA Contact: Tammy Fox
URL: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release...
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 160346 160347 160348 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks: fc-relnotes-traqr
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2005-06-14 16:10 UTC by Bevan Bennett
Modified: 2007-04-18 17:27 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2005-08-18 19:18:39 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
"Corrected" HTML (95.39 KB, text/html)
2005-06-14 16:33 UTC, Bevan Bennett
no flags Details

Description Bevan Bennett 2005-06-14 16:10:17 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050513 Fedora/1.0.4-1.3.1 Firefox/1.0.4

Description of problem:
Using default FC3+Firefox in ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 encoding, the new release notes contain a number of odd characters that make the page readable, but ugly. I suspect that this is some sort of export problem, as I often see the same sort of garbage when exporting .doc files to HTML.

These characters appear in the HTML source, not just the rendered HTML.

The copyright symbol should also probably properly be represented as "©.

As a nit while we're on the subject, the w3c validator suggests that this page should be labelled as HTML 4.01 Transitional rather than Strict, because it's not legal 4.01 Strict...

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
NA

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. FC3, Western Encoding, Firefox
2. Browse to http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/
3.
  

Expected Results:  Release notes displayed without garbage

Additional info:

While it's not a crasher bug, if more people see the release notes like this it's not going to be good PR.

Ooo, trying to submit this is generating internal server errors. I'll try removing my examples and sending them as an attachment instead

Comment 1 Bevan Bennett 2005-06-14 16:19:43 UTC
It looks like "smart quotes" are once again the most common culprit.

Comment 2 Bevan Bennett 2005-06-14 16:33:08 UTC
Created attachment 115416 [details]
"Corrected" HTML

I used the chart at
http://cliki.tunes.org/HTML%20special%20characters%20and%20symbols
to do a quick search and replace, using ™ — etc instead of the
extended symbols.

Comment 3 Miloslav Trmač 2005-06-14 16:40:32 UTC
*** Bug 160346 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 4 Miloslav Trmač 2005-06-14 16:40:43 UTC
*** Bug 160347 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 5 Miloslav Trmač 2005-06-14 16:40:56 UTC
*** Bug 160348 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 6 Karsten Wade 2005-06-14 20:49:33 UTC
Adding common blocking tracker bug, as specified.

Comment 7 Karsten Wade 2005-06-14 21:10:01 UTC
There are a number of layers happening here.

I think the primary situation is using UTF-8 envar on the build system, in this
case, my laptop.  This is not bad, but it has problems when you combine it with
the situation we had on fedora.redhat.com up until this morning.

The PHP includes did not have a charset attribute in the <META> tag, and
presumably httpd was using the default ISO-8859-1 from /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.

We added charset=utf-8 to the include so all pages on f.r.c are served using utf-8.

Now this breaks a few other docs that I will rebuild using UTF-8 and hope they
work out.

Interested if the release notes look better now.

Long term, we need to coordinate the documentation better from writing to
publishing.


Comment 8 Bevan Bennett 2005-06-14 21:13:37 UTC
Changing the stated character set has indeed resolved this from the perspective
of my browser.

Comment 9 Karsten Wade 2005-08-18 19:18:39 UTC
Making the global changes to the fedora.redhat.com pages was sufficient.  This
is now consistent with a default install of FC.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.