Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 440136
PATCH: imagemagick fails to read 24bit .ico files causing various package build failures
Last modified: 2008-04-28 11:22:10 EDT
Description of problem:
Several packages uses convert to convert .ico files to .png files during their
build, currently a few of these fail to build as the reading of 24 bpp .ico
files is broken. The attached patch fixes this.
Here are a few buildlog examples of packages which currently fail to build in
rawhide because of this, please fix this ASAP:
I've also send this patch upstream.
Here is some explaintion of the patch:
Some recent versions of ImageMagick have seen some changes to the .ico handling
code to support reading 32 bit .ico files which contain a real alpha channel
instead of an alpha 0/1 bitmask.
These changes have broken support for reading 24 bpp + alpha bitmask .ico files,
by trying to read an alpha channel there, leading to an early eof.
This patch restores the reading of 24 bit .ico files, by not trying to read an
alpha channel there, but instead use the alpha bitmask as ImageMagicke did a
couple of releases ago.
Created attachment 299966 [details]
PATCH: imagemagick fails to read 24bit .ico files
Can you please fix this, this blocks 4 other bugs. I'm sorry todo this, but
consider this your first ping in the light of the NonResponsiveMaintainers policy:
Should be fixed in latest build just done. Please let me know if there are any
(In reply to comment #3)
> Should be fixed in latest build just done. Please let me know if there are any
There are, by updating to upstream's latest release instead of just applying my
patch, you've introduced a soname change into F-9 very very late in the F-9
release cycle. Luckily this build was never pushed to rawhide because rawhide is
frozen at the moment, please do a build of ImageMagick-220.127.116.11 with my patch
included for F-9 (no need to bump the epoch, the 6.4.x build was never pushed ot
any repos) and do the 6.4.x build for F-10 (F-9 currently has its own cvs
branch, F-10 is the devel branch).
Also looking at:
There are a lot of bugs open against ImageMagick, so it looks like you could use
a hand with maintaining it. I'm a _very_ experienced package maintainer /
And I would be very happy to lend a hand, would it be ok with you to have me as
co-maintainer. If so I'll request the necessary rights and start working on that
list of bugs.
done and done
The new ImageMagick works fine, fixing all the bugs depending upon this one,
shall I mail rel-eng to ask to include this fixed version in F-9?
One important note: you've only done this update for the F-9 branch in CVS not
for devel, so if someone know makes changes to devel, then the 2 versions might
get out of sync. Its good policy to always make changes in devel and then copy
them to other branches, unless for reasons like sonames being different the 2
branches are based on different upstream versions (which will be the case once
devel gets updated to 6.4.x).
I've discussed things with rel-eng and they've decided to include
ImageMagick-18.104.22.168-4.fc9 in F-9 final, so I'm closing this now.