Description of problem:
Attempt to execute spell-buffer fails with message "Searching for program: no
such file or directory, spell". Attempt to enable flyspell-mode fails silently.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Type M-x spell-bufffer
Message as above is produced.
Spell checking process should start
I have hoped that setting ispell-program-name variable to hunspell would fix the
problem but no go...
I have just noticed that installing aspell manually fixes the problem. I think
though that adapting emacs interface so that it can use hunspell would be optimal...
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 443639 ***
Bug present in emacs-22.2-5.fc9.x86_64 with slightly different symptoms.
1. M-x flyspell-mode produces a message: "Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error".
2. M-x ispell-buffer produces: "apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell".
Installing aspell works around the problem. I believe the proper fix is simple: spell packages should nowadays try to execute hunspell instead of ispell program.
*** Bug 448414 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 10 development cycle.
Changing version to '10'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
6 Feb. 2009
I am running FC10. The latest emacs freezes when I turn on Flyspell.
When I updated to the very latest emacs a day or so ago, I got this Delphic message:
/usr/bin/etags.emacs has not been configured as an alternative for etags
What does that mean? What should I do?
This is a serious problem for a person writing a book because running the speller on the whole book takes time and brings up all sorts of correctly spelled words that the speller hangs on.
Kevin, the etags thing is a bug. I am working on it, it's bug #484309
Same problem is still present in F11 beta. The symptons are exactly like comment #3. The emacs version is: emacs-22.3-10.fc11.x86_64
The workaround is to set ispell-program-name to hunspell. It seems that setting this as the default for Emacs would solve the problem.
OK, hunspell is now the default
also adding hunspell to "Requires", to make sure it's installed
fixed in emacs-22.3-11.fc11
Problem is still there with emacs-22.3-11.fc11
(or maybe it's a different problem?):
(1) Start emacs.
(2) Open a file.
(3) M-x ispell-change-dictionary, american
(4) M-x flyspell-mode
-> two different outcomes:
(a) Emacs hangs and uses 100% cpu.
(b) Message: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
At least case (b) can be repdrocuced (7 out of 10 times) like this:
$ echo "(ispell-change-dictionary \"american\")(flyspell-mode)(message (symbol-value 'ispell-program-name))" | emacs -q --batch -l /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default.el -l /dev/stdin
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/auctex.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/focus-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/git-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/igrep-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/lilypond-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/po-mode-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/preview-latex.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpmdev-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/ruby-mode-init.el (source)...
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/w3m-init.el (source)...
Local Ispell dictionary set to american
Starting new Ispell process [american] ...
Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
(In reply to comment #12)
> Problem is still there with emacs-22.3-11.fc11
> (or maybe it's a different problem?):
It's a different, but related, issue. The problem you describe is caused by changing the dictionary. See Bug #495047
since the problem in comment #12 is caused by changing the dictionary, closing again.
This bug has reappeared. I've created a clean installation of F11, with all updates, and got the following error:
ispell-init-process: Error: No word lists can be found for the language "pt_BR".
This means that the alternative fix for this bug, proposed in bug# 508033 , does not work out of the box.
The explanation is simple. Aspell isn't the default word checker for Fedora. As such, it isn't installed and more importantly its dictionaries are not installed for the default language. As a result, adding a dependency for aspell solves nothing, as it is necessary to add appropriate dictionaries for it to work.
I would like to ask the owner to reopen this bug.
I found flyspell mode was failing for me in F11. After searching around I finally found that I had to
yum install aspell-en
to get it to work again.