This service will be undergoing maintenance at 00:00 UTC, 2016-08-01. It is expected to last about 1 hours
Bug 473803 - (anacondawifi) Can't use wireless interface to do a network installation
Can't use wireless interface to do a network installation
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: anaconda (Show other bugs)
14
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Radek Vykydal
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
: 530460 618072 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-11-30 13:57 EST by John E. Harbold
Modified: 2011-06-22 10:27 EDT (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2011-06-22 10:27:13 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description John E. Harbold 2008-11-30 13:57:24 EST
Description of problem:

When attempting a network upgrade and using a wireless interface, the connection is not associated with the wireless router.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

anaconda-11.4.1.62


How reproducible:

Every time I try to use the wireless interface.


Steps to Reproduce:
1. Boot the net install CD.
2. When prompted for the installation method, select URL.
3. When prompted for the network interface, select the desired wireless interface.
4. A message will appear telling you that, "Determining IP information for <wirelessIF>.
5. After a time, an error is returned saying it could not associate with the wireless router.
  
Actual results:

Failed to associate with the wireless router.

Expected results:

Continue with the network installation.

Additional info:

It would be nice if a dialog menu appeared to allow a user to set the ESSID and, if necessary, a WPA keyphrase.  This is what is being done with the Network Configuration menu.
Comment 1 Joachim Frieben 2008-12-04 04:22:59 EST
For the time being, install options:

  .. allowwireless essid=<your_ssid> wepkey=<your_wepkey>

will do the job. One problem related to NM is that the SSID must not be hidden by the AP, see Bug 448437. Otherwise, association will fail.
Another drawback is that currently, only WEP encryption is supported both by anaconda and system-config-network, see Bug 474519. This is a serious issue when WEP encryption is deprecated, and most APs are set up for WPA/WPA2 these days. This means that one has to fall back to a wired connection or reconfigure the AP to use WEP mode which generally means that a wired connection is needed temporarily, too.
Comment 2 Joachim Frieben 2009-01-21 05:56:29 EST
Just tried out the latest boot.iso including anaconda-11.5.0.10-1, and still, wireless mode is not working. The boot log reveals:

  ...
  nm-system-settings: ifcfg-rh: error : Missing SSID
  ...
Comment 3 Chris Lumens 2009-01-21 08:59:16 EST
Yes, this is known and on David's TODO list.  Ever since the move to using NetworkManager by default, we've been needing to redo wireless support.
Comment 4 Joachim Frieben 2009-03-28 11:26:10 EDT
No improvement for anaconda-11.5.0.37-1. Is a functional wireless support in anaconda an F11 target if not an F11 blocker?
Comment 5 David Cantrell 2009-03-28 19:12:08 EDT
Wireless support during installation is not an F-11 target or blocker.  We [the anaconda team] have had our time consumed by working on the storage backend overhaul, which is the most important thing from our perspective to get in by F-11.
Comment 6 Bug Zapper 2009-06-09 06:01:56 EDT
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 11 development cycle.
Changing version to '11'.

More information and reason for this action is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 7 Joachim Frieben 2009-06-22 03:33:42 EDT
I suggest to add this bug to bug 473302 (F12Tracker). Thanks!
Comment 8 Daniel Qarras 2009-10-23 15:14:53 EDT
This seems to be still an issue with Fedora 12 Beta. (Could someone please adjust the Version field?)
Comment 9 David Cantrell 2009-10-26 15:27:35 EDT
*** Bug 530460 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 Joachim Frieben 2010-02-25 14:43:30 EST
No luck with Fedora 13 Alpha RC1 (anaconda-13.27) when adding options "allowwireless", "essid=ESSId_NAME", "wepkey=0x............".
Is this option still a dummy, or is it worthwile providing further info for debugging?
Comment 11 David Cantrell 2010-02-25 14:51:55 EST
Still unsupported as of now.  Code is still in the works, but nothing is targeted for F-13.
Comment 12 David Cantrell 2010-04-09 22:19:39 EDT
Radek,

Since we have NM across the whole installer now, maybe this is something we can do.  If we can't, that's fine too.

People have requested this feature for a while, but it's never been a major request.  The areas impacted:

1) Loader would require UI changes to display a list of wireless networks found as well prompting for the network name to join.  Also, any passphrase or key necessary would have to be collected from the user.  This feature may not be worth the effort.

2) Enabling a wireless network in stage2 to add an additional repository.  I think this would be easier to do now with the work you and Ales did to get nm-connection-editor integrated in to stage2.

At any rate, can you see if this doable and make a call as to whether or not we should add it to anaconda.
Comment 13 Radek Vykydal 2010-04-27 05:03:57 EDT
(In reply to comment #12)
> Radek,
> 
> Since we have NM across the whole installer now, maybe this is something we can
> do.  If we can't, that's fine too.
> 
> People have requested this feature for a while, but it's never been a major
> request.  The areas impacted:
> 
> 1) Loader would require UI changes to display a list of wireless networks found
> as well prompting for the network name to join.  Also, any passphrase or key
> necessary would have to be collected from the user.  This feature may not be
> worth the effort.

Seems doable, I want to look at it closer now.

> 
> 2) Enabling a wireless network in stage2 to add an additional repository.  I
> think this would be easier to do now with the work you and Ales did to get
> nm-connection-editor integrated in to stage2.

I sent patches to anaconda-devel-list for wireless network configuration/enabling in stage 2:

They are built on top of bunch of other patches fixing use of nm-c-e in stage 2.
Comment 14 Bug Zapper 2010-04-27 08:25:14 EDT
This message is a reminder that Fedora 11 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 11.  It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained.  At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora 
'version' of '11'.

Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version' 
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 11's end of life.

Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that 
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 11 is end of life.  If you 
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it 
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this 
bug to the applicable version.  If you are unable to change the version, 
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.

Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's 
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events.  Often a 
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes 
bugs or makes them obsolete.

The process we are following is described here: 
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 15 Radek Vykydal 2010-05-13 08:33:24 EDT
(In reply to comment #13)
> (In reply to comment #12)

> 
> > 
> > 2) Enabling a wireless network in stage2 to add an additional repository.  I
> > think this would be easier to do now with the work you and Ales did to get
> > nm-connection-editor integrated in to stage2.
> 
> I sent patches to anaconda-devel-list for wireless network
> configuration/enabling in stage 2:
> 
> They are built on top of bunch of other patches fixing use of nm-c-e in stage
> 2.    

The patches for stage 2 have been pushed and will appear in anaconda-14.6-1.

They are built on top of changes described here:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=520146#c45
Following description from the comment, if a wireless device is selected to be configured in nm-c-e (that is - controlled by NM), which is by default, anaconda will scan for access points and another dialog for selection of AP (its SSID) will appear before nm-c-e is run. After selection, respective wireless connection should have ssid prefilled accordingly in nm-c-e.

If ssid is specified in kickstart, for example as in line:

network --device=wlan0 --bootproto=dhcp --essid=tireless --wepkey=aaaaaaeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaeee

access points are scanned before running nm-c-e to check that ap of given ssid really exists, and if it does, selection dialog is skipped.

Also, if a wepkey is specified in kickstart as in the line above, is should be prefilled for respectiove nm-c-e connection.
Comment 16 Radek Vykydal 2010-07-26 07:27:31 EDT
*** Bug 618072 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 17 Bug Zapper 2010-07-30 06:33:41 EDT
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 14 development cycle.
Changing version to '14'.

More information and reason for this action is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 18 Radek Vykydal 2010-08-06 03:52:34 EDT
Status of the bug:

- Wifi enablement/configuration is supported in stage 2 (that means wifi can be used for retrieving packages) in UI with Network Manager Connection Editor (nm-c-e), and in kickstart with options essid and wepkey.

- To enable wifi in stage 1 (for retrieving kickstart / stage 2 / updates), boot options essid and wepkey and kickstart commands essid and wepkey can be used again.

So in kickstart / boot options, support is limited to use of WEP key, in nm-c-e, anything it offers should work.
Comment 19 Horst H. von Brand 2010-08-17 10:49:11 EDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> For the time being, install options:
> 
>   .. allowwireless essid=<your_ssid> wepkey=<your_wepkey>
> 
> will do the job. One problem related to NM is that the SSID must not be hidden
> by the AP, see Bug 448437.

In my case the ESSID isn't hidden, and the network isn't encrypted at all.
Comment 20 Joachim Frieben 2010-08-30 03:37:16 EDT
Booting from boot.iso as of 2010-08-28 with optional arguments "allowwireless essid=<MY_SSID> using an AP with -unhidden- SSID and -no encryption-, connection to wireless interface wlan0 fails. Anaconda output exhibits the following trailing lines:

  INFO NetworkManager: <info> Trying to start the supplicant...
  INFO NetworkManager: <info> supplicant manager state: down -> idle
  INFO NetworkManager: <info> device state change: 2 -> 3 (reason 0)
  INFO NetworkManager: <info> supplicant interface state: starting ready
Comment 21 Radek Vykydal 2010-08-30 06:33:18 EDT
(In reply to comment #20)
> Booting from boot.iso as of 2010-08-28 with optional arguments "allowwireless
> essid=<MY_SSID> using an AP with -unhidden- SSID and -no encryption-,
> connection to wireless interface wlan0 fails. Anaconda output exhibits the
> following trailing lines:
> 
>   INFO NetworkManager: <info> Trying to start the supplicant...
>   INFO NetworkManager: <info> supplicant manager state: down -> idle
>   INFO NetworkManager: <info> device state change: 2 -> 3 (reason 0)
>   INFO NetworkManager: <info> supplicant interface state: starting ready

It is possible that with 2010-08-28 you are hitting https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=620823. The bug should be fixed in anaconda-14.17-1 that is not in any development snapshot yet. I'll try to remember to let you know when it becomes available.
Comment 22 Daniel Qarras 2010-09-09 16:27:50 EDT
> The bug should be fixed in anaconda-14.17-1 that is not in any development
> snapshot yet. I'll try to remember to let you know when it becomes available.

Does the anaconda version number 14.* indicate that installations over wireless should make it into F14 or perhaps even into F14 Beta?

Thanks.
Comment 23 Joachim Frieben 2010-09-10 12:08:59 EDT
Network install using a wireless device works as of anaconda-14.17.1-1.fc14 included in the F14 Beta TC1 spin available at:

  http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/14-Beta.TC1 .

Connections without -and- with WEP encryption are supported.
Comment 24 Daniel Qarras 2010-09-29 15:27:24 EDT
I've now tested wireless installation with F14ß. In general it works ok, I was able to install my system without any network cables, yay!

However, some rough edges, not sure are these bugs or features and what should be done with them (I'd be a bit hesistant to reproduce as I've got my laptop now up to speed already):

- I didn't specify allowwireless / essid boot parameters but when the installer started to ask about network interfaces, this is what was presented:
  - network interface to use for installation (from eth0 and eth1 I chose eth0 the wired interface on purpose)
  - then I was asked wireless ssid
  - then I was presented nm-c-e with both wired and wireless present
    - there were three (3) wireless connections, I removed one of them, actually two of them disappeared
- hit close, installation proceeded ok
- after intallation there was only ifcfg-eth0 for the wired interface so I had to reconfigure my wireless interface

As can be seen, there were quite a few small things but no showstoppers so all in all great to see this working!

Thanks.
Comment 25 Radek Vykydal 2010-10-14 09:21:16 EDT
(In reply to comment #24)
> I've now tested wireless installation with F14ß. In general it works ok, I was
> able to install my system without any network cables, yay!
> 

Thanks for the testing!

> However, some rough edges, not sure are these bugs or features and what should
> be done with them (I'd be a bit hesistant to reproduce as I've got my laptop
> now up to speed already):
> 
> - I didn't specify allowwireless / essid boot parameters but when the installer
> started to ask about network interfaces, this is what was presented:
>   - network interface to use for installation (from eth0 and eth1 I chose eth0
> the wired interface on purpose)

Then eth0 was used for installation, wireless probably didn't even go up because of below.

>   - then I was asked wireless ssid
>   - then I was presented nm-c-e with both wired and wireless present
>     - there were three (3) wireless connections, I removed one of them,
> actually two of them disappeared

I am trying to figure out why there are 3 (sometimes 2) wireless connections of the same ssid. Probably some timing issue of interaction between anaconda and nm-c-e. Anyways, deleting any of them removes configuration (ifcfg file) for the wireless device and that is why ...

> - after intallation there was only ifcfg-eth0 for the wired interface so I had
> to reconfigure my wireless interface
>
Comment 26 Daniel Qarras 2010-10-15 10:27:51 EDT
> Then eth0 was used for installation, wireless probably didn't even go up
> because of below.

No wired used really, I didn't even have a cable connected to my laptop.
Comment 27 Radek Vykydal 2010-10-15 10:52:11 EDT
(In reply to comment #26)
> > Then eth0 was used for installation, wireless probably didn't even go up
> > because of below.
> 
> No wired used really, I didn't even have a cable connected to my laptop.

Ah, my wrong guess, wireless was already up when the ifcfg file for wireless was deleted. I was confused because in the very latest code the device would normally go up only after leaving Connection Editor.
Comment 28 Michel Alexandre Salim 2010-10-29 15:30:02 EDT
(In reply to comment #27)
> (In reply to comment #26)
> > > Then eth0 was used for installation, wireless probably didn't even go up
> > > because of below.
> > 
> > No wired used really, I didn't even have a cable connected to my laptop.
> 
> Ah, my wrong guess, wireless was already up when the ifcfg file for wireless
> was deleted. I was confused because in the very latest code the device would
> normally go up only after leaving Connection Editor.

If I choose to configure the network at the first opportunity (i.e. on the same screen where I'm offered to set the system's hostname), and delete one of the two wlan0 configurations, then I cannot select wlan0 as the network device over which to do the installation.
Comment 29 Joachim Frieben 2010-12-05 09:45:03 EST
After installing F14 from scratch adding "allowwireless essid=AP_NAME", it is possible to set up the wireless connection on the page where the hostname ist set. It is even possible to choose WPA-PSK for encryption and anaconda actually creates working files ifcfg-wlan0 and keys-wlan0 which allow to use the wireless connection globally after completing the install procedure. Prior to this install, I had only verified that WEP was supported. This bug is safe to close now, I think ..
Comment 30 Radek Vykydal 2011-06-22 10:27:13 EDT
I am closing this bug concerning installation over wireless in general. For specific or additional wireless issues/requirements, please open new bugs.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.