Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 64964
upgrade failes to make link for xsane lib
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:42:35 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.4.1) Gecko/20020314
Description of problem:
If you install RH7.3 on a clean system the following link is made:
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-epson.so.1 -> libsane-epson.so.1.0.7
However if you UPGRADE from RH7.2 to RH7.3 the above link is not made.
This causes xsane to abort with the following message in /var/log/messages:
kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(1): Unable to access minor data
with the 1 replaced with 1 - 15. However 0 is not in the log
and that is where the device is.
Adding the link fixed the problem.
Larry K. Brown
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
2.Edit /etc/sane.d/epson.conf to "usb /dev/usb/scanner0"
3.verify epson 1640 usb scanner works with xsane
4.upgrade with RH7.3
5.verify xsane fails
6.look for /usr/lib/sane/libsane-e* and see if link is present.
Actual Results: Link was missing
*** Bug 64973 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 64713 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Fixed package will be sane-backends-1.0.7-7. In the meantime you can run
'/sbin/ldconfig' as root to work around this problem.
*** Bug 64886 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
The workaround doesn't work. I've just tested it. It creates links like
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 May 16 13:14 libsane-umax.so ->
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 136687 Mar 4 18:31 libsane-umax.so.1.0.7
However, it does not create symlinks with the major version number:
libsane-umax.so.1 -> libsane-umax.so.1.0.7 is not created, and so I
open("/usr/lib/sane/libsane-umax.so.1", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
SANE is completely, 100% unusable with this bug, so it is my opinion that
this should go out as a RHBA ASAP.
It worked when I tested it (install 1.0.5, upgrade to 1.0.7, run ldconfig).
Does sane-backends-1.0.7-7 work for you?
I tested it on two machines, and it didn't work on either machine.
I checked /etc/ld.so.conf to make sure that the directory was listed.
Yes; at least, it gets the symlinks right.
Rerunning ldconfig does NOT work for me either.
The RPM package installs the complete set of softlinks. Running ldconfig from
sane-backends's postinstall script blows half of them away.
*** Bug 65178 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
More difficulties. Uninstalled 1.07 and all old sane and xsane files.
Reinstalled 1.0.7-6 and xsane 0.84. Ran ldconfig. Nothing works now.
Sane-find-scanner recognizes /dev/sg0 (which is where my scanner is) as " found
USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product)" . Scanimage and xsane say there is no
scanner device on the system. The scanner is listed correctly in /proc/scsi/scsi
as an HP model C6270A on the SCSI channel. Now what can I do. I have no scanner
and am unable to get my work done! This is an urgent problem for me.
Please remove xsane and sane-backends, then check that /usr/lib/sane no longer
exists, then install sane-backends and xsane, but don't run ldconfig. Check
SANE is installed correctly with 'rpm -V sane-backends' (you should get no
I did all you suggested, but still have the problem. I did find that both the
SCSI and the USB are both on IRQ 9. Could this be the problem? How can I change it?
No, that isn't the problem. Did 'rpm -V sane-backends' give any output?
Did this scanner work in Red Hat Linux 7.2?
rpm -V gave no output. Each step went fine, but Xsane does not recognize the
scanner and sane-find-scanner continues to list an unidentified USB sdcanner.
Yes, it worked with RH 7.2 under sane-backends 1.0.5 and xsane 0.82. Upgrade to
1.07 and 0.84 was with the RH 7.3 install. I will note that under RH 7.2 the
first time I ran Xsane for any session resulted in the error that no sane device
was installed. I would run Xsane a second time and it would run fine.
Sane-find-scanner always recognized the HP C6720 under RH 7.2.
Finally got things working by removing sane-backends 1.0.7 and installing sane-
backends 1.0.5 from RH 7.2 disks. Current working set up is RH 7.3, HP C6270A
SCSI scanner, and Xsane 0.84.
This is fixed in the current errata package.
Please be advised that the current errata package does not fix this for me. Used
Uptodate to update sane-backends and the system could not identify my scanner.
Continues to work normally with sane-backends 1.0.5. 1.07 doesn't work for me!
firstname.lastname@example.org: As I think I might have said to you before in private
mail, I believe the problem you are seeing is a separate issue to this,
unrelated to symlinks. Please open a separate report for it. Thanks.