Bug 17187 - tcsh broken after glibc upgrade
Summary: tcsh broken after glibc upgrade
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: glibc (Show other bugs)
(Show other bugs)
Version: 5.2
Hardware: i386 Linux
high
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Jakub Jelinek
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 17192 17201 17233 17249 17281 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2000-09-02 13:37 UTC by Magni Onsoien
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:37 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2000-09-07 01:43:27 UTC
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Magni Onsoien 2000-09-02 13:37:58 UTC
I upgraded glibc this night (via autorpm) to the latest from the errata -
glibc-2.0.7-29.2. Then tcsh (tcsh-6.07.09-1) didn't work anymore, it
core-dumped.

We are running RedHat 5.2, Linux 2.0.36 on a i686.

I am able to reproduce the problem on several other RedHat 5.2-servers
(with different configurations/software installed), so I suppose the
problem is in glibc and not in local configuration.

Comment 1 Magni Onsoien 2000-09-02 13:46:02 UTC
Sorry, forgot the gdb-stuff:

[magnio@nalle]:~> gdb tcsh core

(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `tcsh'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libtermcap.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypt.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
#0  0x40063434 in __open_catalog (catalog=0x8098008, with_path=1)
    at open_catalog.c:91
open_catalog.c:91: No such file or directory.
(gdb) 


Comment 2 Nadav Har'El 2000-09-02 22:22:33 UTC
I also saw this bug on my Redhat 5.2 installation. I thought that perhaps
something was wrong with
Redhat's (old) tcsh RPM, so I went and compiled the latest tcsh (6.09.00) from
source, and sure
enough, the bug remains. But because I compiled with debugging, I have a more
detailed
backtrace:
        #0  0x40094434 in __open_catalog (catalog=0x8093008, with_path=1)
            at open_catalog.c:91
        #1  0x40094157 in catgets (catalog_desc=0x8093008, set=2, message=1, 
            string=0x807b49b "Syntax Error") at catgets.c:137
        #2  0x804ffa4 in errinit () at sh.err.c:215
        #3  0x80567a5 in nlsinit () at sh.func.c:2396
        #4  0x8049da1 in main (argc=1, argv=0xbffff668) at sh.c:206

So, something is wrong in the new library's catgets(), in line 137. I hope that
gives you enough
info to catch and fix this bug (hopefully quickly - some of my users want to
kill me for distroying
their working tcsh for what they see as not-important security concerns).

Comment 3 Jakub Jelinek 2000-09-03 13:47:15 UTC
*** Bug 17201 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 4 Jakub Jelinek 2000-09-03 13:50:46 UTC
For anyone, it should be fixed in glibc 2.0.7-29.3, this weekend the fixed
rpms are available from ftp://ultra.linux.cz/private/glibc/
and updated errata will be issued hopefully Monday morning EDT.

Comment 5 Steven Roberts 2000-09-04 04:10:02 UTC
the .3 rpm does appear to fix it.  the upgrade went fine on one of machines.  The other I had tried to downgrade to the 5.2 release glibc, and rpm failed to 
extract libc-2.0.7.so using cpio properly... but after figuring out how to get the 5.2 rescue disk series to load a scsi driver all is well.

Thanks for the quick turnaround.  I've got to say this was the nastiest issue with a RedHat system involving official RedHat stuff (it took down a lot more 
than tcsh).

Comment 6 Jakub Jelinek 2000-09-04 12:22:10 UTC
*** Bug 17233 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 7 Jakub Jelinek 2000-09-06 16:50:06 UTC
*** Bug 17281 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 8 Oliver Jones 2000-09-07 01:43:26 UTC
This nails Perl.  In particular the glob() function and <*> directory file
handles.  This is entirely ass!

Comment 9 Jakub Jelinek 2000-09-08 07:43:09 UTC
Should be fixed by RHSA-2000:057-04

Comment 10 Jeff Johnson 2000-10-06 22:18:15 UTC
*** Bug 17192 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 11 Jeff Johnson 2000-10-06 22:19:07 UTC
*** Bug 17249 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.