Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 106332
kudzu seg faults on startup
Last modified: 2014-03-16 22:39:21 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
Description of problem:
kudzu seg faults on startup (both warm boot and cold boot). At first I was
getting 2745 segmentation fault, I then downloaded kudzu and refreshed it. I
then got 2933 segmentation fault.
I restarted the computer and entered interactive startup so I could write down
the error message. During interactive start up I get 3052 segmentation fault.
I found no references to kudzu in /var/log/messages, /var/log/dmesg, or
Hardware is as follows:
MSI K7T266 Pro motherboard
VIA KT266 chipset
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live (EMU10k1)
NVidia GeForce 400 64 meg video card
AMDtek comet based ethernet card
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.start up system, either cold boot, or warm boot
Actual Results: /etc/rc5.d/S05kudzu : 3052 segmentation fault /usr/sbin/kudz
$KUDZU_ARGS -t 30
Expected Results: Kudzu should exit normally after checking for new hardware.
Ximian evolution, and hardware browser are also crashing, though I do not know
if these bugs are in anyway related.
If you run it under gdb, what's the backtrace?
*** Bug 106333 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Created attachment 94965 [details]
gdb backtrace for kudzu
Created attachment 94966 [details]
strace for kudzu
Attached is the backtrace you requested. I also attached the strace. To produce
these files I did the following:
1. changed default runlevel to 3
2. rebooted computer
3. logged in as root
4. ran script then gdb
5. ran script then strace
Can you attach the output of 'ls -l /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts'?
Also, if you could install kudzu-1.1.31-1 and kudzu-debuginfo-1.1.31-1 from
http://people.redhat.com/notting/kudzu/, and get a backtrace from having
both of those installed, that might help as well.
Created attachment 94997 [details]
ls -l /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
Created attachment 94998 [details]
gdb -q /usr/sbin/kudzu
I am not sure I did this correctly, but the files you requested are attached. I
used the following procedure to create these files.
1. installed the required files as follows:
a) rpm -Uhv kudzu-1.1.31-1.i386.rpm
b) rpm -Uhv kudzu-debuginfo-1.1.31-1.rpm
2. changed default runlevel to 3
3. rebooted computer
4. ls -l /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts > network-scripts
5. script; gdb -q /usr/sbin/kudzu
I was not sure if I needed to do anything different to utilize the kudzu.debug
file. Please let me know if you need this re done differently.
Can you attach the output of lspci?
Created attachment 95007 [details]
/sbin/lspci > lspci
Here is the output of lspci you requested. Hope this helps.
Created attachment 96307 [details]
hwconf of the hardware that seemed to be causing problem + workaround patch
I have the same problem. I tracked it down to a strcmp() on a NULL ptr.
I made the code skip the strcmp() if the pointer was NULL and kudzu identified
a new piece of hardware which I figure was triggering the problem.
The /etc/sysconfig/hwconf section for that hardware and the patch I used to get
past the segfault are attached.
I have recently described the same phenomenon in Bug #114071. Thanks
to Norm's patch, I have been able to eliminate my segmentation faults
and get kudzu to run. (Thank you, Norm!)
I have posted an updated patch which applies against kudzu-1.1.40 in
the report for Bug #114071 as attachment 97205 [details]. I hope this goes
upstream soon. :)
*** Bug 114071 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 110433 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 109576 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Please try the kudzu-22.214.171.124-1 packages at:
These may resolve some of your issues.
*** Bug 115199 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 116271 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
As far as I'm concerned (comment #14), the new packages fix this
issue for me. Feel free to close the bug if you think this is
It works for me too.
Marking as closed in rawhide. The update will be pushed to final in
the next week or so.
An errata has been issued which should help the problem described in this bug report.
This report is therefore being closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files, please follow the link below. You may reopen
this bug report if the solution does not work for you.